Little 500 Protest Form
- Protest: The student must submit the electronic protest form via the IUSF website along with supporting documents by February 8, 2021 at 11:59 pm. This protest should outline the eligibility rule that the rider is not in compliance with and explain why the student believes an exception should be made for them.
- IUSF Decision: The Little 500 Race Director will review the protest and documentation and conduct any necessary investigation and/or interviews. The Race Director will then decide to pass or deny the protest. If the Race Director rules favorably, then the protest is passed. If the Race Director rules against the protest, then the student has the opportunity to file an appeal with the IUSF Appeals Board. If the student does not choose to file an appeal, then the protest is considered to be denied and cannot be submitted again.
- Appeal: A student wishing to appeal a protest that has been denied must submit the electronic appeal form via the IUSF website with an additional payment of $30 by February 19th, 2021 at 11:59 pm. (Payment covers security and other logistical fees for this meeting.)
- Hearing and Final Ruling: The IUSF Appeals Board will review the submitted materials as well as listen to the verbal appeal of the student. The student appealing must be present at the hearing, and they may also bring one additional representative. The Race Director will present the case on behalf of IUSF in support of the original ruling. After both sides have presented arguments, the IUSF Appeals Board will deliberate in private and reach a final decision. The student appealing will be notified in writing of the outcome. All decisions of the IUSF Appeals Board are final.
The fall protest deadline is October 12, 2020 at 11:59pm. Fall protests will be decided by October 19, 2020 involving cases applicable to the current year’s race (2021). The Fall Appeals Board is October 29, 2020
The spring protest deadline is February 8, 2021. Spring protests will be decided by February 15, 2021 involving cases applicable to the current year’s race (2021). The Spring Appeals Board is February 24, 2021.
IF A PROTEST IS NOT FILED BY FEBRUARY 8, 2021 AT 11:59 PM, AND IUSF DETERMINES YOU TO BE INELIGIBLE AFTER THAT DATE, THE PROTEST WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Appeals Board Description
The purpose of this board will be to decide appeals concerning any eligibility issues of riders who have been deemed ineligible by IUSF. It is not the function of the Appeals Board to change the rules of IUSF events. Rather, it exists to hear reasons why exceptions should be made to the existing rules.
The IUSF Appeals Board will consist of 7-13 members appointed by the IUSF Director who are undergraduate Indiana University-Bloomington students, alumni, faculty and staff. The Appeals Board will include:
- IUSF President
- One or more IUSF Steering Committee members
- One or more general IUSF members
- One or more male members of Riders Council
- One or more female members of Riders Council
- IU Foundation Board of Associates President and/or his/her appointee,
- One or more other members as appointed by the IUSF Director.
All members will serve for the entire academic year.